Fuzhou Poh Hwa Oyster Cake @ Berseh Food Centre

berseh food centre,蚝饼,166 jalan besar,singapore,food review,oyster cake,meat puff,fuzhou,福州寶華蠔饼,福州蠔饼,福州宝华蠔饼,福州蠔饼

If memory does not fail me, I was first acquainted with the Fuzhou oyster cake more than two decades ago in a coffeeshop next to the Commonwealth Theater which is one of the two cinemas (the other being Empress Cineplex) in Clementi.

Commonwealth Theater has since been torn down and redeveloped into the current Cityvibe. The oyster cake stall has also closed down before the destruction of Commonwealth Theater began.

Its new location or whether it is even in operations for that matter, remains unknown.

Those were the days when the age of internet (and mobile phones) were still not as widespread therefore I have no means to track it down.

And that, was last time that I had had any oyster cake.

berseh food centre,蚝饼,166 jalan besar,singapore,food review,oyster cake,meat puff,fuzhou,福州寶華蠔饼,福州蠔饼,福州宝华蠔饼,福州蠔饼

I was pretty excited when I found this stall selling oyster cake on the second level of Berseh Food Centre along Jalan Bersah during my recent food hunt in the area.

I understand that they used to be located in the same coffeeshop as Da Jie Wanton Noodle and had only moved to the current location two years ago in 2015.

To be honest, I had completely forgotten how an oyster cake is suppose to taste like or even if this stall's version measures up to the one from Clementi.

I am just glad to have found this traditional street snack and have a taste of it before it disappears together with the current generation of oyster cake hawkers when they decide to call it a day.

After all, traditional Fuzhou oyster cake hawkers are few and far between. They are not as easily available as chicken rice or wanton noodle so do drop by while you still can, to have a taste of the good old days before they are gone for good.

berseh food centre,蚝饼,166 jalan besar,singapore,food review,oyster cake,meat puff,fuzhou,福州寶華蠔饼,福州蠔饼,福州宝华蠔饼,福州蠔饼

These oyster cake are best eaten on the spot while they are still hot as you might find them seeping in oil by the time you reached home or the office.

They are assembled and fried upon order or only in small batches therefore they are always served piping hot. It may seem like a simple snack but a lot of preparation work goes into the making.

First, a layer of special batter mix is spread onto a shallow ladle followed by Chinese celery, minced pork, prawn and oyster. These are buried under another layer of batter mix, then topped with either peanuts or whitebait before being released into hot oil and fried to a crisp.

No matter what your oyster cake is topped with, they are the basically same on the inside although I would very much prefer the one with whitebait because I do not like peanuts. The moment I received mine, I was eager to have a taste but it was hot to the touch. I took a small bite, careful not to burn my tongue.

Hot steam immediately gushes from within as the thin, crispy shell gave way under the pressure of my teeth. The filling is moist and savory but what strike me the most was the briny flavor of the oyster which I wished there were more of so I could feel the flavors of the ocean exploding in my mouth.

Priced at $1.80 each, I have no complains although I find that the color of the shell a tad too dark. It would be more pleasing if it was of a golden brown.

There is also the option to "upsize" for more ingredients at $2.20 each for greater satisfaction.

berseh food centre,蚝饼,166 jalan besar,singapore,food review,oyster cake,meat puff,fuzhou,福州寶華蠔饼,福州蠔饼,福州宝华蠔饼,福州蠔饼

  
FU ZHOU POH HWA OYSTER CAKE 福州寶華蠔饼
Berseh Food Centre
166 Jalan Besar
#02-34
Singapore 208877

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 10.30am - 6pm

GPS Coordinates: 1.3073233,103.8546603


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach