Eng Kee - Fried Bee Hoon And Fried Chicken Wing @ Redhill Market & Food Centre

fried beehoon,singapore,redhill,food review,redhill market & food centre,fried chicken wings,荣记,eng kee,blk 85 redhill lane,char bee hoon

I have long heard about Eng Kee and their famous fried chicken wings but have not gotten round to visiting them as I still have not figured out how to get to their location at Commonwealth.

As fate would have it, they opened a branch at Redhill Market & Food Centre which is easier for me as I already know how to get there. But of all places to set up shop, they opened their branch at the previous stall of YAN (焱), who is also famous for their fried chicken wings.

Since I have just visited YAN (now renamed YON YAN) at their new location at West Coast Market, I thought I might as well visit Eng Kee to see the difference between the two? This is something that I have wanted to do but procrastinated till now.

fried beehoon,singapore,redhill,food review,redhill market & food centre,fried chicken wings,荣记,eng kee,blk 85 redhill lane,char bee hoon

No, I did not put up the wrong photo of Eng Kee's stall at Redhill Market & Food Centre. This IS indeed Eng Kee's stall but why is YAN's signboard still up there? It has been at least six months since Eng Kee took over. I wonder why they did not put up their own signboard?

fried beehoon,singapore,redhill,food review,redhill market & food centre,fried chicken wings,荣记,eng kee,blk 85 redhill lane,char bee hoon

Nevertheless, I ordered myself a plate of fried bee hoon (rice vermicelli) with one fried chicken wing. I noticed that their pricing is exactly the same as YAN's at 60¢ for bee hoon and $1.40 per chicken wing.

Now, this is what I call ECONOMICAL bee hoon!

fried beehoon,singapore,redhill,food review,redhill market & food centre,fried chicken wings,荣记,eng kee,blk 85 redhill lane,char bee hoon

I would say the fried chicken wing tastes similar to YAN's. After all, they were from the same recipe so it couldn't have strayed too far off. The only thing is, the chicken is not piping hot.

One thing I noticed is that business does not seem brisk around 1pm on a weekday. There is no queue at all when I arrived. While the lady is taking my order, the man standing behind her looks on with nothing to do.

During YAN's days, time is a luxury for there is no moment too free to just stand around. The perpetual queue means there is always fried chicken wings frying in the wok. But this is not the scene I see when I am at Eng Kee today.

This is just based on my one-time observation so it might not reflect the real situation.

fried beehoon,singapore,redhill,food review,redhill market & food centre,fried chicken wings,荣记,eng kee,blk 85 redhill lane,char bee hoon

To be honest, I find Eng Kee's fried bee hoon softer and tastier than YAN's. Even their chili sauce suits me more.

My pressing question is: Why is Eng Kee still using YAN's signboard? Did the owner of YAN sold off his business to Eng Kee again? Is that why YAN is renamed as YON YAN at another location?

Can someone please tell me what is going on?

The nearest MRT Station here is Redhill and I usually just take a 5 minutes walk over to the food centre.


ENG KEE 
Redhill Market & Food Centre
Blk 85 Redhill Lane
#01-19
Singapore 150085

Business Hours
Mon - Fri: 11.30am - 8pm 
Sat & Public Holidays: 9.30am - 6pm
Closed: Sun


Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/LjeJnL3FUyG2
GPS Coordinates: 1.2874233,103.8166597


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach